Custom Mapping - considerations when using postcode areas or other geographical data
Adding information to postcode geography, including Census data or business activity data.
Many customers wish to have their own data integrated with our Postcode Data;
Sales figures and franchise territories are typical examples, you can see some examples here. If your project requires use of our Postcode Data to generate tabular output, rather than actual maps or supply of the digital Data Product, the rate is 40% of the listed GIS Data Product price. Update Service is not available for data accessed for tabular output. Of course if you’d prefer to do this yourself, you will need the appropriate GIS Postcode Data Product and a suitable GIS Software application.
Proportional Postcode Data pricing.
Territory and Franchise area custom mapping, specifically.
- What information you want to balance territories with (geographic area, number of people regardless of age or gender, specific age / gender / ethnic group, some employment or income variable, or any of the many alternatives – default MapMakers Census Enhanced list is here).
- How many territories you are aiming for or what the target variable for each is.
- Whether separate branches of the same postcode or other base spatial unit must be contained in only one territory or can be allocated to several.
- Whether a postcode or other spatial unit must remain entire or whether you are prepared to split them to meet a specific outcome (the notes and illustrations on the Postcode page may be helpful).
- Whether territories can cross the borders of more than one State or Territory.
- What size map(s) you require.
- Whether you want a single summary map for your entire area of interest or individual maps for each territory as well / instead of (individual territory maps usually take between 15-30 minutes, after the main territory definition exercise is completed. If you have requested an estimate for territory mapping, sets of individual territory maps will not have been included, as we usually cannot know how many may be required at that stage, so please budget accordingly).
- What naming system your territories should have (default is 1 through to “n”).
- Wording for title(s), a digital image of your logo if required, any specific wording for disclaimers or other corporate requirements.
Experience tells us most territory mapping exercises have a custom mapping time based component in the upper half of the typical range, so $1500 – $3000, while territory creation for several of the major States together or all Australia is almost always going to be more than this (time required is broadly related to number of territories required; nationwide coverage requiring just a few territories per state may be accomplished quite quickly for example), not including any spatial and other data which may be required (rarely a client will supply all / some of their own). Similarly, but not necessarily related to overall area, if there is substantial data editing and analysis required, such as the splitting of spatial units based on redistribution of variable(s), it can add significantly to the time required compared to territory creation using entire spatial units.
We perform a lot of territory mapping, so we can almost certainly get you where you wish to be in this respect, but please be prepared to work with us to ensure we are able to implement to your requirements – it will be an iterative process and you will most likely need to be involved at least in a reviewing capacity. A good territory map is often pivotal to an effective sales prospectus for a franchisor; generating such maps can sometimes be complex and time consuming and therefore costly. However such costs would almost always be incorporated in the franchise price and as such would be at least fully recoverable, so please budget appropriately for your territory mapping project. We have national territory maps per-configured for targets of both 300,000 and 400,000 total population, illustrated on the downloads page.